- May 20, 1992 - Jazz Concert and Dinner ... Bert and I met at a Church activity when I was home during my spring break. My sister told me that he got my number and sure enough he ended up calling. He came up to USU to take me to a concert on campus. It was a good concert and we had a nice time. We went to Arby's for a little dinner, that's when I found out Bert was such a big spender! ;) It was a cute, awkward little first date.
- August 27, 1992 - The Marathon Date ... Bert and his friends had a whole day's worth of activities planned and it sounded like too much fun to pass up on, so I went (even thought it had been over 3 months since we last went out). We went to Timpanogus Caves in the morning, drove the Alpine Loop over to Provo for a fun day at Seven Peaks water park. Then we headed back to Sundance for a performance of "Lil' Abner". His friend broke my glasses when he steamrolled the entire group as we sat on the mountainside waiting for the show to start, Bert says he paid him to do it! I had to admit I was liking him, but not taking him too seriously yet.
- October 23, 1992 - Haunted House ... We started out the date with a lovely Italian dinner at Trolley Square. After dinner we drove to the the Haunted Asylum and Bert was more scared than I was, he kept hiding behind me, I think. We topped it off with a huge ice cream sundae and then went home. I have to admit, I was starting to get some fluttery feelings about him.
- December 2, 1992 - Another Jazz Concert ... Again Bert came up for a Jazz concert. This time he brought a friend of his and asked if I could set him up with someone. I did and we all ate dinner at my apartment then went over to the concert. My old band teacher was actually one of the performers, it was a great concert (and a good omen - I have nothing but respect for my old band teacher). Bert and I were seeming to get more comfortable with one another, SLOWLY but surely!
- February 5, 1993 - Symphony ... Bert was up in Logan transferring his records to USU and decided to pick me up drive me down to SLC to hear the Utah Symphony perform Dvorjak. We had dinner first and that was really when Bert started to realize that I might just be "The One", as I was not a terribly dainty eater, no salad for me unless it's a starter, I went straight for the Halibut and cleaned my plate. It's good to know that impressed him. We had a great time, enjoyed the music and the good company and talked for a while. Instead of driving back that night, we decided to have me stay at my parents' home that night and drive back up to USU the next day. Bert picked me up that morning and we talked and had a very nice drive back up to Logan. We even stopped at the Bluebird to buy candy for his mom.
- February 26, 1993 - Hockey Game ... Now don't freak out, I know this is two dates in one month, but we were really starting to like each other. I actually called Bert and asked him on this date. A bunch of my RA friends had tickets to a hockey game in SLC, so I thought I would join in on the fun. I picked him up and got to meet his family. We had a good time at the game, my friends didn't scare him off too badly. Afterward we went to dinner at Hire's and drove around SLC looking for (but not finding) certain landmarks. We finally made it to his home, talked a little longer and then I was on my way.
- March 5, 1993 - Jazz Concert at BYU ... I was home for the weekend and Bert picked me up to take me down to Provo. We also had his friend with him who was being set up with a girl down in Provo. We picked her up and then went to the wonderful concert. It was actually kind of an awkward evening, there was lots going on and lots of people coming and going at different time and I'll be honest, I was pretty sure Bert was just not that into me. So, I was totally gearing up to just get over him. Then we drove home and Bert walked me up to the door and KISSED ME!!! Yes, that was our first kiss!!! Awwwww! He was so awkward all night because he knew it was time and he wasn't really sure about when or how or what, but he did and we were both very happy!
- April 2, 1993 - Whatever kind of date ... We didn't really have anything planned, we just decided to go find something to do. We went to dinner and then went back to his home and watched "Into the Woods". It was nice, but a little awkward, again. Oh dear!
- April 16, 1993 - Party at his friend's house ... This was a very last minute deal, Bert invited me to his friend's house for a little get together. We listened to good music, watched some very fun animation and just kind of "chilled". But when we got home Bert didn't even get out to walk me to the door ... Hmmmmmmmmm!
- April 17, 1993 - Ballroom Dancing ... Now this was one of my favorite memories with Bert. We got dressed up, ate some dinner at his home and went into SLC for Ballroom Dancing at the Murray Arts Center. It was fantastic, we were BY FAR the youngest couple there. We were taught the Samba, and for a girl that has practically NO RHYTHM, it was a tough one. We still had a good time and the older couples (who could actually dance) had fun watching us. Bert was much better than I was, but it was still fun to spend the night dancing, there's something about being in a man's arms all evening ... sigh! He walked me to the door this time and gave me a little peck of a kiss. It was a great date, but I wasn't sure where we really stood with each other!
And there you have it, our first 10 dates, in just under one year's time! I know, I know, you all are so envious of the passion and magnetism you just read about. We try not to flaunt it out in front of everyone, but it is our 10 year anniversary and I thought now would be a good time to share our story with the world.
Now I am just going to sit back and wait for someone in Hollywood to contact me, I am sure they will be fighting for the rights to this story. It's definitely not your average love story! HA!
Oh, and if you are wondering where it goes from there, we went out at about the same pace for a while longer, I went on a mission, he was still available when I got home, I ended up dating his good friend's brother for a while, then ... miracle of miracles ... we got together, this time for good! We were married 7 years after we first met. Yes, a little on the slow side, but we all know the story of the tortoise and the hare!
Thanks for the fun times hon!