Monday, July 5, 2010

Muffin Tin Monday - OR, MD, HI, MA and AK

Our Muffin Tin Monday was actually on a tray, because the dessert was too big for anything else!!!

My poor kids!!!   ha ha

Anyhow, it's been a while since I have done a States theme, I was excited to get them going again.
And for this one I was able to try something I have heard of, but never had before.

Can you guess what it is?


In our tin:

Massachusettes: Corn Muffins (the official muffin of the state)
Hawaii: Pineapple
Oregon: Sand dollar sandwiches (for Seaside Oregon, where you can gather TONS of these)
Maryland: Popcorn Shrimp
Alaska: Baked Alaska

The girls were excited to show off their sea shells (in honor of the sand dollar in their lunch).


Soooooo, the item I have never tried before is the Baked Alaska!!!

Can I just say ... YUM!!!
My goodness - what a fabulous dessert!

I was trying to make mine muffin tin sized, so this is what I did:
(mind you, it was still too big for the tins in the end)

Individual Baked Alaskas:

1. Baked LARGE chocolate cupcakes.

2. Once cooled, I put the cupcakes in the freezer to get them fairly cold (not frozen, though).


3. I cut off the top of the cupcake and scooped out the insides.

4. Then I filled the insides with Strawberry Ice Cream (I REALLY recommend this flavor combination).


5. I put the cupcake top back on and carefully smoooooshed the two pieces back together.

8. Then, freeze the cupcakes until they get really firm.


9. When they are ready, start the meringue. I used 5-6 egg whites and a dash of Cream of Tartar. I mixed that until is was really foamy and white (but not stiff). Then I added 1 cup of sugar and let that beat until I got stiff, glossy peaks. Preheat the oven to 500F while this is going on - it moves rather quickly at this point. 

10. I set the cupcakes on a baking sheet (top sides down) and then covered each one with a layer of meringue, using the spoon to make them look pretty.

11. Then place in the hot oven just until they are browned to your liking (~ 5 min).


12. Eat them up right away ... what a treat! I can't believe I've never had Baked Alaska before!!!



Want to see other muffin tin meals?
Go to Muffin Tin Mom!



7 comments:

Amy said...

I think I am going to have to try the Baked Alaska..ok...I will be truthful. I am going to show Dave the instructions for a baked alaska and HE can make it. My success record is not too high with new recipes.

Unknown said...

This all looks wonderful. The baked alaska and shrimp are my favorites. I will have to see if South Carolina has any state foods.

Jen said...

everything looks great!

Unknown said...

wow, i need to start doing fun food for Bayley. you are so creative!!!
i love your blog header, it's awesome!! xoxo

w said...

oh my gosh!

baked alaska! that looks amazing! i totally want to try that out!

Doran & Jody said...

Oh deeelish....well except for the seafood. Do you deliver?

Scott and Sara said...

I'll say it again...for the zillionth time...
You are too fun!!