Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Moral Dilemma ...

The other day we had a little party at our home. One of our neighbor girls is moving and we wanted to send her off with a bit of a party. So, we gathered and played some minute to win it games. Then the party moved outside and this is where it gets a little sticky ...


You see, they started a game of hide and seek, and started dispersing all over the surrounding houses.


(Although my moral dilemma might involve the fact that The King is playing outside on a January evening without pants or shoes - it doesn't ... and he did get pants, shoes AND a coat on just minutes after this photo was snapped.)


My moral dilemma begins with two girls hiding themselves REALLY well and the others getting bored and resorting to doorbell ditching! As fun as it is, I live in a rather old neighborhood. It turns out that the girls got the door of my 90+ year old neighbors - OOPS! Enter the moral dilemma ... do I go and apologize now, a few days later, knowing that they probably don't even remember it happening? Or do I just let it slide, since they probably don't remember it happening (most likely from even 5 minutes after it actually happened)?

I guess, if I go and apologize for something they don't even remember having happened, it won't be that bad, because soon enough, they won't even remember my stopping by to apologize.

So, I'll go take care of that today - and they like company anyway!


3 comments:

LM said...

I think your plan to go and apologize as a way to stop by and visit is a great plan, and if they are 90+ years old, they have probably 1) been ones doing the ditching 2) had children, grand children, even great grandchildren who have made such offences, and 3) been ditched MANY times in the past. So, I say stop by for the visit and don't stress. :)

Gosfam said...

Apology is best even if they don't remember--I am sure they will ENJOY your company.

Jenny Lynn said...

I sometimes think we over think things. Don't you imagine that they raised children who did silly things such as door bell ditch? If apologies are needed it should be from the girls. I would not worry to much about it. Take a goodie to them and wish them a good day. If the topic ever comes up then apologize for the girls behavior.

This is just my opinion! I have had many a conversation with my children about "NOT" doing this activity. Least I ground them from hanging out with friends.