Monday, August 18, 2008

Muffin Tin Monday




I found this great new blog - Sycamore Stirrings - and she does a little thing called Muffin Tin Monday. In my quest to provide somewhat healthy meals to my kids, I think I have found a super alternative. The muffin tins are small and cute (just like my kids) and I think it makes the food that much more approachable - WAHOO! So, for this week the theme was Breakfast and this is my interpretation: Dollar size Pink Pancakes (pink due to beets), maple syrup, strawberries, craisins, toast and homemade apricot jam. YUM - I think I will dig in, too! Thanks for the idea - hopefully I will be a regular participant. BTW - direct quote from Thing 1 about lunch to her dad on the phone (he just called) - "Guess what, we're eating Pink Pancakes for lunch ... they're actually good."
This is how I made them (I got the idea from Jessica Seinfeld's cook book - Deceptively Delicious - I had to change it because I make my pancakes from scratch).
I made up some pancake batter and set it aside.
Then, in a blender I mixed together 1/2 ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup beet puree (just beets that I baked, then pureed in a blender and keep in my freezer), a little water to help it blend, 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Blend it all well.
Add the blended mix to the pancake batter, adding in some shredded apple (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup).
Mix it all lightly and then cook on the griddle. They were good - Bert even liked them!

2 comments:

katy said...

those pink pancakes are somethin' else! Welcome!

Monkey's Mama said...

I love the pink pancakes! Do you have a recipe?