Thursday, May 14, 2009

You Gotta Try These ...

I have found a FABULOUS baking blog, Bake at 350, that is going to make sure I don't lose any more weight. How Cruel! But I can't hate her because the stuff on her blog is just divine ... okay, maybe not divine ... but really, really, really good.

And then there's her cookies!!!
WOW WOW WOW!
She sells them now, too!


Anyhow, I have always been a fan of Hostess Cupcakes (sadly, I know) and have thought about trying to make them myself. I know they aren't healthy and home-made ones won't magically become healthy, but they will cut out all the preservatives, no shelf life on these babies - that works for me! I can handle the cupcakes and frosting, and even the icing, I just wasn't quite sure what to do for the cream filling.

She answered that question here!







I made these for Mother's Day, and we gobbled them up that very day. Instead of the cute curly icing, I just added words that described some of the important women in my life, there were more, but these are the ones you get to see!

Just for the record, I used the chocolate cake recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa box, it always works. And I used a different ganauche ... I guess it's not really a ganauche, but I love the taste and texture and use it on other things all the time!

My Faux Ganauche:
1 bag semi-sweet or bitter chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
3 Tb. butter
2 tsp. vanilla

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler, add the milk and stir until smooth. Add the vanilla and stir again until smooth - how easy is that?

So, if you want to try them, and I am pretty sure you do, go to Bake at 350 for her instructions ... no need to recreate the wheel here folks!

6 comments:

Shauna said...

YUMMY! I could really use these today :)

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Well, I'm so glad you don't hate me! :)

I LOVE this idea for Mother's Day! The writing on top really makes them perfect for ANY DAY! I think I may need to make some today that say "Thursday." ;)

Anyway, thanks so much for the mention! Yours look perfect!

cfernelius said...

I'm so hungry right now...I need chocolate! Thanks for sharing the site - I always need ideas.

Jen said...

Hey, they look great and sound yummy! There are some great cooking blogs out there. Thanks for steering me in this direction.

K said...

Those look so yummy! I will have to add those to the recipes I want to try when I find the time to bake again:)

Tia Langston said...

Mmmmmm. By the way....your music totally caught me off guard. Startled me!