Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What I Love Wednesday ... Legos with My Boy


It's been one of our favorite activities to do together over the last year or so.

We used to dump them out on my bed so that The King couldn't reach them.
(not to be mean ... just to protect him from the choking hazard)
Then The King figured out how to climb up onto my bed.
So, now we wait until The King is napping before we pull out the Legos.

And then we gotta get going, out time is pretty limited!

Now, understand, my love for Legos goes back to my childhood.
I had a small collection, then I won a Lego contest and my collection grew.
I built with them quite a bit, for a few years at least ... until I kind of outgrew them.
(I have made it perfectly clear that I am a total nerd, right? So, no surprise here.)

Anyhow, then came The Boy!

And one day, out of the blue, I realized he was old enough for Legos.
So, I pulled out a small stash I had from my teaching days.
(my old set is LONG GONE)
Then he started getting more as presents.
And now he has a pretty good collection of his own.

Yesterday he wanted to play sooooo bad,
but I really (REALLY) needed to use The King's naptime for personal hygiene!
So, I put out his Legos for him to play with and thought all was good.
He played while I was doing my thing and then it was about time for The King to get up.
I went in to help him put the Legos away.

Enter: HUGE ALLIGATOR TEARS!

The Boy was extremely distraught that I wasn't going to be building anything with him.
It just broke my heart.
So I hugged him and promised him that the next day we would build something together.

And that happened today.

He picked a spaceship for Luke Skywalker and we set to work.

I hadn't had lunch yet, but I figured I could get the spaceship built first and then have some lunch.


HA!
About an hour and a half later, I found myself staring blankly at the page I was on.
Totally lost and unable to make any sense of it or find any of the little pieces.

So, I took a little lunch break, powered up with some Chicken Lombardi and Samoas,
 and then got back to work.



Feeling a big refreshed, it all started to make sense and I could finally pick out the pieces.
And soon, the spaceship came together.
(well, mostly, there were a few pieces I just couldn't ever find)


And a closer look ... seriously ... this took me a few hours to make:
(I don't know if I should admit to that or not!)


And you know how necessity is the mother of invention?

Such was the case today! 
Since I couldn't find the plain black pole needed to hold the yellow flag in place behind Luke,
 I had to use a black pole with a thingamabob on the end.


Which ended up becoming a convenient location for Luke to stash his lightsaber -
SUPER handy for when Darth Vader or some pesky Storm Troopers come after him.
(no lightsaber holders on the original plans - thank you very much!!!)

And now it's time to play!


It should stay together a good 10 minutes ... if I'm lucky!

This is truly a labor of love!

5 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

How fun is that to spend time with the kids playing "kids" games. Good job...both on taking the time for him AND for the spaceship!!

To infinity and beyond......oh wait, wrong movie.

Lara Neves said...

You are an amazing mom! My kids only have a few legos, but I tried to help build the super easy stuff and failed. I hope that spaceship stayed intact for a while after all the time that went into it! :)

Tracey said...

Way to go:) I LOVED legos when I was little, but unfortunately haven't played with them very much since then. It will be fun when Alexis is old enough!

Kim & Campbell said...

FUN, what a fun mom you are! What a neat relationship you have...I look forward to that!

Jenny said...

We love legos at our house. Bought Bubee a kit one time knowing I needed to get some stuff done around the house. It kept him busy for 3 hours! Your such a CooL MOM!!!