Monday, May 18, 2009

A Close Call

Today I had one of those moments of pure divine intervention!
Obviously, I need a lot of this in my life, as I do a pretty good job of messing things up on a regular basis.

Anyhow, the events that I am going to share were basically my fault, so I am very grateful to a loving Heavenly Father who helped fix all this.
The background: A few days ago I noticed that the full-size heavy mirror on the back of my daughters' bedroom was sliding down a bit. There was some very strong adhesive keeping the mirror attached to the door, but the brackets on the bottom were bending away from the door just a bit.

We have been crazy busy overthe past few days (we haven't even seen Bert for more than 10 minutes at a time), so I planned on having Bert fix it up today after work.

It was around 4:00 and I was starting to get some things ready for dinner. Thing 1 and The Boy were downstairs playing and Thing 2 was in her room making her bed. The King had crawled into her bedroom and was there with her. I didn't even think about it until I heard him start to play with the door. It banged on the wall once and my spidey senses started tingling, but I still didn't get it. Then it banged on the wall a second time and I am certain that is when Heavenly Father kicked me in the rear and said "Get in there NOW!"

I then quickly remembered the mirror and FLEW into the room just as it came crashing off the door and into hundreds of shards all over the floor.

The banging of the door had been the final straw and the bottom brackets gave out COMPLETELY!

And there was The King, right in the middle of it all, SCREAMING!

I didn't see how it happened, all I knew was that he was screaming and sitting in the middle of a ton of broken glass. I scooped him up faster than I think I have ever moved in my life. I had no idea if he was cut, I was so worried about there being a big gash on his head or arm or, anywhere, really.

I started looking him over and couldn't see anything wrong. As I held him he started to calm down a bit, and I started to calm down, too. We walked into the bathroom so I could check him out in the mirror there (this one is very firmly attached to the wall) while still holding him close to me. I still couldn't see anything wrong yet, but I did see some drops of blood on my shirt. So, with a little more investigation I found two little cuts on the poor little fellow. One on his knee and the other on his wrist.

We bandaged him up and he settled down. Once he and I were both very calm, I strapped him into his chair with some goodies and I set to work cleaning up the mess. It took a while, but we got it all out and now Bert won't have to fix that for me afterall!

What a crazy experience.

What a huge blessing!
To walk (or crawl) away from that relatively unscathed ... it's a miracle!
Note to self:
Fix things like that when you first notice them!!!
And thank your Heavenly Father for all your blessings, as they are many!


Deb F said...

What close call, give the King and Mary a hug for me I sure it was a shock to both. Oh and you too!

Leslie said...

Oh I am glad there were just minor injuries.

K said...

So glad everyone is ok. Love the tropical themed lunch. BTW, I haven't put my garden in because I am fully anticipated at least one more snow storm.

Shimmy Mom said...

I'm SO glad that nobody got hurt. I think we've all done things like that (I am the queen of procrastination.) And yes it does make us more thankful for a Loving Heavenly Father.

Scott and Sara said...

How scary! I am so glad he was ok, even though he got a couple scratches. I am also glad you listened to the promptings!

Tink said...

Oh man! How frightening! Glad the King is okay and nothing major happened! Poor guy! And what a mess to clean up! Yuck!