Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tasty Pilgrim Hats




I just saw this on Family Fun (check out how a professional makes these) and HAD to make them for our Family Thanksgiving Dinner. We have a bunch of kids, so something a little bit on the cheesy side is PERFECT for us!

We started off with some Chocolate Candy Coating, Fudge Stripe Cookies, Jumbo Marshmallows, toothpicks, YoGo's rolls, and some yellow icing (I used some homemade royal icing).



I melted the chocolate and realized it was a little bit lighter than the chocolate on the fudge striped cookies. So once it was melted, I added some black food coloring to help it get a little darker. While the "chocolate" was melting, I set out some parchment paper and covered it with the cookies, face down.



Once the chocolate was melted, I stuck a toothpick in a marshmallow and dipped it. I gently shook it so that the chocolate would drip off, leaving a nice thinner coating on the marshmallow. If you leave too much you end up with a big pool of chocolate on your cookie. (not a bad thing really, but if you are going for a certain look - well - the big chocolate puddle is distracting - yummy, but distracting)



Then you set the marshmallow on the cookie and use another toothpick to help slide it off. I found that there would be a little mark left where the toothpick had been, so I dipped the toothpick in the chocolate and smoothed over the top of the marshmallow. I also found that if you end up holding a baby while you do this, you can carefully remove the marshmallow with your pinky finger from the same hand and then smooth over it the same way mentioned above.



When they were all done (yes, we are part of a small army at Thanksgiving), I let them set and I started working on the trimmings.



I cut strips of YoGos Rolls that would be just the right size to wrap around the base of the hat. Then I cut out the red strip on each side. This was a little bit time consuming, but I guess I just had to add that little touch to them.



When the coating had solidified, I wrapped the red strips around the base of the hat and found that they were sticky enough to not need any extra help to stay in place. Yay!



Then I pulled out the yellow royal icing and put a little square buckle on each hat - this was the magic touch. I wasn't sure about them the entire time until I added the buckle - what a relief!



And if you are using them as place cards for the meal - just add a card to a toothpick and slide it in the side of the red belt.

I think the kids will love these!

Are you posting about Thanksgiving??? - Join 5 Minutes for Mom and bring whatever you want to the BLOG table (or just go check out what others have to say).


Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Those are just too cute to pass up. Good thing I need to go shopping tonight, I'm going to add these ingredients to my list!

Chanelle said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing those! What a fun thing to do with the kids and a great treat to eat!

Debbie Alden said...

Guess what I made some for the office, not as cute as yours Aussie marshmallows are kind of small. And not Fudge strips, but yummy none-the-less!

Kelley said...

Stinking cute! That is "just' about enough sugar for my son...marshmellows are his favorite!

Julie W said...

You are a champ!