Friday, December 4, 2009

Cookies!

That's all I need to say, right?

It's that time of year, my kitchen is operating at it's highest level of the year ... how about you?

My neighbors have been, too (YAY) - so we pooled our resources (in the form of a Cookie Exchange) and some good things happened.

For instance, my plate of Fudgie Brownie Bites



magically transformed into an assortment of delectable goods!



And my kitchen was NOT declared a disaster - WHEW!

We also decided to throw in a little White Elephant game and I was able to snag the lump of coal! Seriously, I wanted it so that my kids would know what they were getting if they were naughty - sometimes, we all need a little visual reminder!



Now, if you are interested in those Fudgie Brownie Bites, they are pretty easy to make. I first came across the recipe at a lovely, little creative place (The Craft Patch), and it has since become a favorite to make and share. This is how I make them up:

Fudgie Brownie Bites



You start with a sheet of your favorite brownies - either a mix or from scratch ... doesn't matter. I just use the recipe from the OLD Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook - super simple, super basic, super tasty!

When they come out of the oven, let them sit for about 15 minutes, then it's time to cut. First cut around the edges (the edge is not going to work for the brownie bites), then cut the insides into one inch squares.



This is the fun part, pick up each square, while they are still warm, and SMOOSH it (yes, that IS a word) into a ball! Do this with all of your brownies and set them out on wax or parchment paper.




In a double boiler, you will need to melt one bag of chocolate chips (I REALLY prefer the semi-sweet, but you could use milk chocolate), one can of sweetened condensed milk, 2 Tb. butter and 1 tsp. of vanilla. Stir it until it is all smooth (you could do this in the microwave). Then dip each brownie into the chocolate. I just dip the top 3/4 of the brownie - not the whole thing. And let them set for a little while.



At this point you could be done. Or you sprinkle on some powdered sugar, or finely chopped nuts, or drizzle some white bark on them. I opted for this, using some Christmas colors, just to liven them up a bit!



They are really quite an easy treat to make, and they always get rave reviews!



I only wish I would have crushed up some peppermint sticks and added them to the dipping chocolate, that would have been a very festive brownie!



And the best part of this recipe (for those of you who like the brownie edges), you have lots of leftover pieces to nibble on!!!




4 comments:

Doran & Jody said...

You should have called! I SO would have licked the bowls for you!!

Tabitha Blue said...

Ok, those look SOOOOO good!! I want to eat a whole plate of them right now!! Yum :)

Tia Langston said...

:o( I soooo wanted to come to your cookie exchange! My social group up here is nice...but sometimes, not near as fun and exciting as the old crew.

Jenny said...

Everything looks so yummy! I think the best part of Christmas is the food!